Church of the Candlemas in Lviv
Another tendency in Lviv baroque architecture of XVII century is presented by a relatively small building of a former church, located on a lift, at the foot of Zamkova (Castle) Hill.
It was established in 1642-1644 by a Krakow Castellan Jakub Sobieski, which is emphasized in the memorial plaque above the entrance, installed in 1692; perhaps it was at that time when the construction was finished. This church was called different names; church of Barefoot Carmelites, church of the Madonna, church of the Holy Spirit, church of Candlemas, Archbishop's church, Roman Catholic chapel of the seminary.
Near these buildings, our website can provide you apartments in Lviv for daily rent.
Continuing the line begun by Jesuit church, the builders of this building were inspired by Italian, and especially Roman models. It is easy to establish a direct analogy to the same church or Gesu, and especially St. Susanna church in Rome - one of the best works of Carlo Maderno.
Even taking into account this dependency on samples, Lviv church undoubtedly attracts attention. Harmony of elegant proportions of the dome over the central nave and a spectacular, decorated with Tuscan order columns facade, well connected with the natural architectural environment, creates a mood of intimacy and festivity. With its relatively small size the building creates an impression of a monumental and significant building.
Generously, in a big way the architect spends all sorts of shapes and details of baroque architecture: Portals - one in another, columns, pilasters, pediments and cornices, cartouches, stucco friezes, volutes of vigorous, elastic pattern, flower garlands and vases on the sides of the portal, the statue of St. Joseph and Theresa in the niches of the second tier (sculptor S. Shvaner) - as from a cornucopia!
It is possible that such congestion with decor would operate depressing , lest the delicate taste of the author. Every detail is justified by the overall concept and collectively, subordinate to it, they form an elegant and cheerful sight.
A bit further away from this church to the High Castle, just a few meters away on the street Kryvonosa behind an old stone wall there is a modest Baroque church, with the building of former monastic shelter, adjacent to it, for orphans. Built in 1660, it also had consistently several names: St. Catherine's church, missionary church, church of charity, St. Casimir's church.