The central building of the city - the Town Hall
Ratusha, located in the center of the Rynok square, is large and imposing, with a high 65-meter tower and two stone heraldic lions, which guard the main entrance. Today, the Lviv city administration is located here.
The earliest reference to the city hall, which stood here, dates back to 1381. It was a wooden construction, surmounted by a high tower. In 1404 a gallery for the city trumpeter was added to the building, and on the tower a clock was set (destructed in the fire of 1571).
The city hall was radically rebuilt in the late XV cent: architect Hans Blekher in 1491 had built a new renaissance tower with an attic. The fires of 1527 and 1571 did not spare The city hall, but thus its survived elements are more valuable. These are mentioned earlier statues of lions, which today stand on Kopernyka street near St. Lazarus church, and several lions fron the facade, preserved in the Art gallery, finally, the relief in the Historical museum, which depicts a boat with rowers.
At the beginning of XVII cent., a new city hall building with a high octagonal tower, nicknamed Kampianovska and topped with a gilded iron lion was built. The author of the project was Wroclaw architect and sculptor Andreas Boehmer (died around 1686). At the entrance of ratusha there was a sculpture of a lion, made in 1618; now it decorates the Vysokyi Zamok (High Castle) park. But neither was this city hall preserved - in 1826 the tower fell.
The construction of a new building by the project of Yu. Markl, F. Treter and A. Vondrashka was finished in 1835. The most recent reconstruction belongs to the mid-century: in the days of revolutionary upheaval in 1848 Austrian artillery shelled the city, and the city hall burned. Yu. Hlohovskyi, who was managing the restoration, had designed a massive colonnade of portico with pediment, and an architect I. Zaltsman - a tower in somewhat modified form, without pre-existing dome end. In 1852 the city clock was installed on the tower.
The clear geometric volume of the city hall is dryish on the picture, and the rhythm of pilasters and windows on the facades is somewhat uniformed. However, the city hall had become the architectural image of Lviv and its tower has become a symbol, an emblem of the city. The silhouette of Lviv is difficult to imagine without this building, actively organizing the city center.
Tour of the Town Hall and a more detailed acquaintance with it is possible via the website "Apartments houses Lviv Morshyn Truskavets Skhodnitsa." Check the schedule liked the tour, you can always contact us by phone specified on the site
In the corners of City Hall fountains are located - very significant components of the area ensemble. They are decorated with statues of Neptune, Diana, Amphitrite and Adonis.
The author of the statues is considered to be one of the best Lviv creators Hartman Witwer (died before 1828), whose name we have yet to meet. Graduate of the Vienna Academy of Arts, Witwer settled in Lviv, probably in the late 80s of the XVIII century. His statues for the fountains, made by him in 1793, appeared to be the first harbingers of the classicist sculpture in Lviv.
Witwer's creations are not marked with bright individuality, but their plastic and decorative merits are undeniable. They are integral and organic in their figurative and formal decisions. Inherent in the statues on the Rynok square is restrained elegy, which was typical for the classicist sculpture.
In the evenings, the vintage lanterns are lit on the square, and the beam of a floodlight illuminates yellow and blue flag on the high City Council tower. Lviv lives its ordinary, everyday life. It seems that at this crossroad collided and merged together the old and the recent times. Their features and signs form what is called the face of the city.