Construction of parks in Lviv
In the years after war citizens found means and powers to make their city prettier.
In the year of the end of World War II monument to Soviet soldiers was built by the architect V.Afanasev in a small park on the street Lenin (now Lychakivska). On the pedestal of the large granite stones with inscription "Eternal glory to the heroes of the guards-tankers of Army Colonel General Lelyushenko that were fighting for the freedom and independence of the Soviet Motherland" a battle tank was set, the crew of which liberated the city.
In 1952 big memorial complex "The Glory Hill" was built in the plateau in the eastern part of the city. The project was created by A.Natalchenko, G.Shvetsko-Vinetskyi, I.Persikov. There buried soldiers who died liberating Lviv and the region. The place was chosen not randomly: here more than one thousand of soldiers who died during August-September of 1914 were burried.
We can provide you with the opportunity to Lviv apartment for daily rent near the "Hill of Glory" and organize a tour.
Rectangular territory of memorial has an area of 0.73 hectares and it is fenced with hedge with heraldic shields and emblems depicting the armed forces. Entrance is decorated with two pillars of red sandstone, made in the form of lowered flags that symbolize mourning for the dead sons of the Fatherland. Along the axis of the entrance it is set the bowl with the Eternal Flame.
On the central avenue there are the graves of 26 Heroes of the Soviet Union, issued in the form of two semicircles of granite with a bronze wreath. Over the mass graves surging bronze sculptures "The Oath" and "Motherland" (sculptor M.Lysenko), "Warrior with a banner" (sculptor V.Forostetsky), obelisk to soldiers who died in 1914. Right of the entrance there is the tomb of the legendary spy, Hero of the Soviet Union Mikhail Kuznetsov, who died in March 1944 in Boratyn Village, Brody district, Lviv region. His ashes in a solemn ceremony was moved to "The Hill of Glory" July 27, 1960. On the grave there is headstone of red granite with a bronze bas-relief of the Hero (architect M.Fedik, sculptor B.Podolsky).
In the architecture of memorial green spaces have great importance: weeping willows, flowers and shrubs. On the green lawn clearly distinguished 255 individual graves gravestones. Successful architectural planning of composition, monumental and ensemble of complex place it among the best memorial structures of Ukraine.
Prior to the 40th anniversary of the liberation of Lviv from Nazi invaders it was carried out the restoration of the mass graves, the entrance pylons, fences memorial headstones reconstructed individual graves, ordered and landscaped grounds (architect M.Fedik). The museum "The Hill of Glory" was founded, where personal belongings of heroes and documents that tell about their feats of arms are exhibited.
During first decade after war great attention was paid to landscaping the city. In the streets and squares trees were planted, in the streets Myru (now S. Bandery), O. Marchenko (currently Tershakovtsiv Brothers), Y.Mudrogo, B. Khmelnytskogo, May 1 (currently Gorodotska) new parks appeared. Ffew large green spaces were built.
In 1952 instead of the former brick quarries and wastelands between streets Dzerzhinskogo (currently D.Vitovskogo), Stryiska, Gvardiyska it was started the creation of Park B.Khmel'nytskogo (Park of Culture) with area of 25 hectares. The main element of the composition became the pedestrian walkway that linked the streets D.Vitovskogo and Stryiska.There are the main entertainment facilities.
In the higher part of the park until 1965 there was agricultural exhibition which was held under wooden and stone pavilions designed by architects from Lviv Y.Novakivskyi, P.Kont, D.Konsulov, I.Bazarnik and others. Nearby Green Theatre at 1800 seats, a football field with for 4000 seats, a summer stage, a restaurant, a complex of playgrounds were built. In the lower part of the park it was built the cinema "Druzhba" on a typical project (architect S.Sokolov).
Entrances to the park are made in form of original colonnades, one of which was eliminated during the construction of the monument of military glory of the Soviet Armed Forces on the street Stryiska. The park is an indication of how for three years, due to active participation of the inhabitants of the city the former wasteland became a flourishing area and the center of cultural activities. Our apartments in Lviv are located near the Park of Culture, you will have the opportunity to see this beautiful park.
Favorite holiday destination for citizens and guests of Lviv, a real gem of garden art is Stryiskyi park founded in the late nineteenth century. It is landmark of landscape art of national importance. Basis for planning the park was deep valley, where once was spring Soroka, converted into a pedestrian link north-south between street Konev (now Parkova) and I.Franka.
Park begins with parterre part. Entrance is made as a light arcade of Korinski order that surprisingly harmoniously blended in landscape (1952, architect G.Shvetsko-Vinetsky).
The park has collected more than 200 species of trees and shrubs. Among them there are natives of the Mediterranean, North America, Far East and Central Asia. There are growing exotic species - red oak, magnolia, white pine, Japanese lilac, double hawthorn and extremely rare on Earth plant - Ginkgo dvolopoe.
In Soviet times it was done much for maintanance and development of the park: territory was expanded up to 60 hectares due to development of the former wastelands and poorly plots, it was installed new iron fence, planted new species of trees and shrubs. Remodeled greenhouse which had a collection of about 100 species of thermophilic plants, and water cascade with a decorative lake.
Lviv citizens save Stryiskyi Park. In 1985 it was developed the project of restoration and reconstruction of the landscape, which provides the following works on its improvement.
Green and landscape construction spread in a suburban area. In 1953 in Vynnykivskyi forest an artificial lake was created. There were built boat station and beaches. In the valley of the river Schirek in territory of over 400 hectares hydropark Glynn-Navaria was build. Here on the shores of an artificial lake 5 km long and 1 km wide were built recreation and water sports facilities. These places near lake are favorite summer holiday destination of Lviv citizens.
Development of green spaces for general use, a significant industrial and residential construction, new clubs, cinemas and educational facilities provide compelling evidence of social progress and accomplishments in urban planning and architecture. During the postwar five-year plans from the city with a small home-based businesses Lviv became one of the largest industrial and cultural centers of Ukraine.