Apartments booking:
(067) 93-980-21
(063) 31-403-23 | (095) 176-95-85
Calls from 8:00 to 22:00 work days

укр
рус
eng

Apartments booking:
(067) 93-980-21
(063) 31-403-23 | (095) 176-95-85
Calls from 8:00 to 22:00 work days

  • Елена Черкассы ...
  • Лилия Мелитополь ...
  • Сергей Киев ...
  • Татьяна Киев ...

Houses on the Rynok Square, Lviv

House №2 is located on the corner of Rynok Square and Muzeina Street. It was built in the beginning of XVII century by Yanosh Videlski, who was merchant and apothecary, on the place of former building in Gothic style.

But image, clear division of the main and side facades, powerful corner rustication, décor and other details evidence about the triumph of the principles of late Renaissance architecture. On the sides of portal there are decorative reliefs with image of strongly curved dolphins, which are ancient symbols of fortune in trade and happy water rescue.

One event of city history is connected with this house. Here in 1629 the first regular mail in Lviv was opened.

mail on the Market Square, Lviv apartmenta post office in Rynok Square, an apartment in Lviv for daily rent

It was organized by the Italian Roberto Bandinelli from Tuscany, grandson of Baccio Bandinelli, famous sculptor.

Above the portal of house №14 winged lion of Mark the Evangelist stays awake - emblem of Venice. Under its paw there is book with Latin inscription and date 1600. In the beginning of XVII century the house was owned by Dalmatian merchant and consul Antonio di Massari, who represented in Lviv interests of Republic of Venice. Diamond-shaped stones of the facade and window casings curls give a picturesque to the building, soften its rigor and rationality.

Monumental, imposing, a little bit gloomy house number 23 with sculptural group "The Baptism of Christ" in the corner niche has another character. Massive quadras of the first floor, tapered pilasters of the second one, mascarones, relief friezes of angels heads and lion masks, and other elements connect the building with traditions of Italian Renaissance. But plenty of them and heavy-handedness of whole composition indicate German-Flemish influence.

According to documents, in XVI here was the house of Kampians, built by Paul Roman. Present building was built in 1630; the new owner was German merchant Wolfgang Scholz. Later it became the ownership of Lviv governors.

Neighboring house №24 was founded in XV century; from that era Gothic arches and windows of the first floor were preserved. After the fire in 1527 the building was cardinally rebuilt in Renaissance style.

In the beginning of XX century the attic was changed with parapet with a bas-relief created by Kuchinskyi. At the same time, balcony and sculpture above portal appeared. This building is known for that here Petr I stayed. Now here is History Museum. In this building Petr I received a deputation of Lviv Stavropigiyskoe brotherhood and granted them a certificate on free books trade on the territory of Ukraine.

Features of Renaissance architecture are in almost every building on Rynok Square. Among them – house №12, №13, №16,

in this house you can rent an apartment in Lviv

House №18 was built in 1533 for Yezha Guter and it was famous as one of the most beautiful and richest palaces on the square, house №21 and №26 have the same age of Massari home.

House №28 has a specific interest. In its architecture there are many styles. But the main one is Renaissance. The great portal is framed by Ionic columns, cartouche and lion masks. The author is unknown, but he was real artist.

Rich in talent and ingenuity of the masters of that remarkable era is shown in many details of houses on Rynok Square. Many buildings on square have long lost the original appearance, and sometimes it is difficult to discuss their style. For example, house №9 now represents more historic interest than artistic one. In the beginning of XV century here was the residence of Lithuanian princes Svidrigaylo, from 1430 to 1844 – of Lviv archbishops. Present building was built in 1630, and the third floor was built in 1845. Now only massive portal with columns reminds about XVII century.

The facade of house №8, built in XVI century, was decorated by architect F. Bauman in 40th of last century. He made pilasters and balcony with classic lattice. Reliefs made by Krasutskyi are of special beauty.


previous   all news   next

Яндекс.Метрика