Onufrievskaya church, Lviv
Architecture during the first half of the XVI and XVII century is nonuniform phenomenon. In the same years absolutely not similar creations were made, sometimes they were polar by their descriptive structure.
There were reminiscences of Gothic architecture; buildings in Italian, German or Polish Renaissance were built; heyday of Baroque architecture started; finally, the national Ukrainian architectural tradition got its dynamic development - all this in the same city, at one time, in front of one-two generations.
Ukrainian national tradition appeared in the architecture of Orthodox churches of St.Onuphrius and St.Paraskeva-Piatnitsa located in Pidzamche, in the street B.Khmelnytskogo.In this area since olden times Ukrainians lived - mainly urban poor, merchants, artisans, apprentices. In XIII-XIV centuries, at time of reign of Daniel Galitsky and his successors, this place was the most crowded.
Later life here got a little other features than in city centre. Most residents wore Ukrainian costumes, professed Orthodoxy, preserved native language, ancient customs and traditions. Much reminded about distant times of princely Lviv, and in the minds of the citizens these memories did not fade.
History of Church of St. Onuphrius began in the end of XII century: in times of reign of Lev Danylovich here was wooden temple. In the middle of XV century here the monastery of Basilian order arised, but all its buildings burnt and the church was rebuilt only in 1518.
Current stone church was built in 1550 at the expense of duke Konstantin Ostrozhskyi, and modern look it got after full restoration which was caused by destruction during Turkish siege in 1672, and construction of stone stairway (1780) and belfry (1822).
Church of St. Onuphrius is the monument of national culture. Here the first printer Ivan Fedoriv and his son were buried.
As is known, Ivan Fedoriv after departure from Moscow lived in Zabludiv, later in Lviv. In one of cells of Church of St. Onuphrius Fedoriv organized printing house where "Apostle" was printed in 1574.
His second printing house was located not far from Assumption Church. Fedoriv died in 1583 in Lviv and was buried in the territory of Church of St. Onuphrius. The tombstone was replaced to the church when the monastery cemetery was removed. There was inscription on it: "Ivan Fedoriv was a printer who improved the sphere of printing. He died in Lviv... The first printer of many books". In 1883 the tombstone was imbedded in the floor of Trinity chapel, but in 1902 it was covered with the wall. As a result, the tombstone was destroyed. Nowadays the building of church is used as gallery, here is exposure of history of Ukrainian book and printing.
Many interesting things can be seen in Lviv, and for this you must first rent an apartment in Lviv through the site arendaplus, it is very easy and safe.
It is not easy to see the primeval architecture of Church of St. Onuphrius. It is typical for Ukrainian architecture temple of cross type with two domes above porch. Side naves were attached later, and chapel of St.Trinity - in 1701. The simplicity and conciseness of forms of ancient architecture are organically combined with noble restraint Renaissance portal and facade, pilasters and windows.
Earlier in the church there was iconostasis painted by the famous Lviv painter of late XVIII - early XIX century L.Dolynskyi; at the beginning of this century, it was replaced with good copies of old icons.